Sunday, November 2, 2008

36 weeks / 9 months

All dressed up and nowhere to go. Except maybe the hospital.

People have been asking if I'm starting to become uncomfortable. Why, do I look like it?

My definition of that word has changed over the past few months. I feel like a kangaroo. When I grip my belly on both sides it's not as rounded as it once was. It's kind of bony - there are elbows and knees and a little bum. I can literally feel his body between my hands. Though I'm quite conscious of the space he's taking up right now, I'm not sure HE knows how big he is. He moves around in there like I'm the size of a gymnasium. He's recently started to "flutter kick" like he's in a spinning class, and other times it feels like I have a little chipmunk in there poking and scratching at the side of my uterus digging for seeds and nuts. I used to wonder why pregnant women pressed down on their bellies so often. Now I know it's to keep the little suckers out of your rib cavity.

His other habit is to sit on my sciatic nerve, which is rather startling. It's a sudden sharp cramp in the groin that makes me double over a few times a day. I've also taken to waddling a bit. Not because I'm big and fat (though I do feel kind of cow-ish at times), but because I'm so front-loaded that my balance is off and it's impossible to keep up a normal gait.

I just have to share one thing Jono said when I first bought sweatpants. This was awhile ago but I forgot to mention it. "How does my butt look in these?" I asked him. "Good," he replied. "It's more.... Latina."

Okay, so maybe it's not all in the front. They say that comes off quickly if you breastfeed. Sign me up.

3 comments:

Kirsten Gardzelewski said...

You still look wonderful, you are really carrying him very well! You think you feel like a cow now wait until you hook the breast pump up to those udders!:) Are you ready? Asher was born at 38 weeks!:)

kristen joy said...

um, i'm pretty sure you still weigh less than me:)

Emily said...

um...whatever.